In this episode of 60 with 360WoodWorking, the 360 guys talk about whether woodworking and furniture making can be considered art or not. Are you an artist or a craftsman? And is there a difference?
Join the guys twice each month for 60 lively minutes of discussion on everything from tools to techniques to wood selection (and more). Chuck & Glen, and sometimes a surprise guest, all have their own opinions. Sometimes they agree and sometimes they don’t, but the conversation is always information packed and lots of fun.
If you have topics you’d like to hear covered in future episodes, click here to send an email to the guys.
Below you’ll find time-codes for each segment of the show. Listen all at once, or in small bites.
Art versus Craft
- 0:24 – The guys square off on whether they are artists or artisans.
Craftsman versus artist and pro versus hobbyist
- 4:56 – What separates a pro from a hobbyist and are they the same things that separate an artist and an artisan?
If not an artist, what?
- 20:53 – It’s about pushing boundaries.
Are you limited by your tools?
- 32:29 – Whether you lean toward corded tools or not, are you held back by your conceptions about what constitutes good work?
- 52:15 – Learn to stretch yourself.