Drawer Blades, Dividers, Whatever – 360w360 E.199

Drawer blades, dividers are what separates the drawers in a chest.In this episode of 360 with 360WoodWorking the 360 guys discuss drawer blades, dividers or whatever you want to call them. What do you call them, anyway?

Join the guys twice each week for six lively minutes of discussion on everything from tools to techniques to wood selection (and more). Chuck & Glen, and sometimes a surprise guest, all have their own opinions. Sometimes they agree and sometimes they don’t, but the conversation is always information packed and lots of fun.

If you have topics you’d like to hear covered in future episodes, click here to send an email to the guys.

Drawer blades, dividers or whatever you call them

Woodworkers have lots of weird names for furniture parts, but what they call the wooden pieces between drawers is one of the strangest. What would you call something that separates one drawer from another? Does it make a difference if they’re horizontal or vertical? And what happens where there aren’t any at all?


  • Sponsors












Posted on

One thought on “Drawer Blades, Dividers, Whatever – 360w360 E.199

  1. Is it possible that the terms “rail” and “stile” come from the little wooden inserts (sometimes called “stiles” in reference to the whole gate like affair) for squeezing through stone fences without letting out the sheep? I’ve seen reference to fence “posts” as the “stile” too. So looking at a door made with rails and stiles, I can see the resemblance.

    Of course, this doesn’t explain why “stile” for the vertical bit in the first place. Or why a quick and dirty set of steps for getting over a stone fence was also called a stile!

    I’m going to start calling the drawer divider’s “George”. And I will hug them and pet them and feed them good food.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *